There are many instances why a package may be marked as "return to sender." Below are some of the most common reasons:
- Complications with the shipping address. (missing information such as street name, typos, misspelling, and other identifiers, e.g. writing ‘123’ instead of ‘apt. 123’)
- The addressee has moved without providing a forwarding address
- The item is refused by the addressee (someone at the address told the mail carrier that no one with that name lives there/works there)
- Package was unclaimed (common for international customers, packages may be held at the local post office or customs office for pick-up, and if the recipient does not go and pick it up within a certain time frame it will be sent back to us)*
- Refusal to pay customs (only applies to international customers - this means you did not pay customs fees/import tax on the item, or refused to pay them)*
*Usually, if your package needs to be picked up from the post office by you in person, or import taxes need to be paid, you will receive a note in the mail from your local post office or customs agent indicating when and how to get your package. Any notices or notes left by the mail carrier are determined by the mail carrier, and not by Hey Chickadee.
The USPS tracking/customs page usually displays the reason why the package is unable to be delivered. If your shipment is marked “return to sender”, feel free to contact us and let us know about the situation. Please be sure to double check your order confirmation email, your account, or your shipment confirmation email to confirm that you provided the correct address, and that no typos or errors were made.
Please note that we unfortunately cannot re-ship orders until the original package is returned to us, and we cannot intercept or redirect a package once it is marked as “return to sender”. Packages being returned the sender are generally considered low priority by the USPS and may move slowly, so unfortunately we can’t provide an estimate as to when returned packages arrive back at our warehouse.
If a package is returned to us because an incorrect address was provided at checkout, you will be responsible for the charges to re-ship the package.